Any time you decide to make a major renovation or begin a build there are a lot of factors that need to be taken into consideration. It can be downright overwhelming if you’re not sure where to start. So, we’ve decided to take it upon ourselves to create a list of five things that need to be taken into consideration prior to deciding when to renovate or when to build and which of those options is going to ensure you stay on budget.
1. Let’s talk costs. In the end, costs more often than not dictate what you’re going to do, so we might as well begin here. If your renovation calls for a lot of structural changes (or even a few), it is typically easier and cheaper to just start from scratch. So if the building doesn’t hold any historical or personal significance, sometimes a blank slate is a better bet. Renovations can easily blow out the budget if you’re not completely prepared but if you decide to go that route, make sure to keep an eye on budget from the beginning!
2. Age is more than just a number. Here is where the ‘historical significance’ comes into play. If your building or home has period features like detailed ceilings, classic floorings, archways etc., then there is nothing more important than upholding its integrity so rebuilding is not an option in this case.
3. Location, Location, Location! A complete rebuild is very popular in… you guessed it…popular locations. Is the building near a beach? In a city where space is rare? A rebuild may be the answer. Before you make any commitments though, always check with your local council to ensure you are abiding by all their planning laws!
4. What is the purpose? Is this your business and the floor space doesn’t work for the office you’ve always dreamed of? Is this your home and your dream kitchen just doesn’t fit in? Whatever it is, make sure it works for you! And if it doesn’t, starting afresh may the best idea.
5. How much time do you have, really? If you’re as busy as we think you are you may not want to have the stress of a renovation and a rebuild may be more appropriate. Whatever decision you make, ensure you speak in detail about your needs and wants (AND BUDGET!) prior to commencement. A reputable company should be there for you every step of the way.
If you’d like assistance weighing the options or even would just like to talk through your project, contact us today at 1300 527 426 or fill out our enquiry form here and our friendly team will get back to you.